Friday, April 24, 2009

Movies to Celebrate with as GM goes Bankrupt

So I was reading the headline in the New York Times today about how GM is about to bite it. I am someone who grew up in a car manufactuing community. I saw them close their plant in the '80s and honestly the place I grew up in is better off for it. Now I don't think this is a universal scenario, but survival is possible.
Anyway, while you are crying on the couch from the loss of your job, pension, life, car, home...okay while you are watching a VCR in some homeless shelter with a bunch of people you don't know, find some comfort in this classic Pre-Code film The Crowd.(directed by King Vidor and can I just say that King is a baby name that needs to make a comeback) It is basically a great story of going to New York with hopes and dreams and...the concept that you could have a future. And way you become a drone and the machine destroys you. I havn't seen it in a while but I think there is a great uprising and everyone is better off for having bucked the man in the end. Very profound lovely movie and I have read it is the first time a toilet has ever been filmed in American Cinema...so..you know keep your eyes peeled. This is exciting stuff. I wonder when the first stainless steel appliances were first filmed in American cinema.
Another film I think is pretty obvious, but is appropriate for this moment is Metropolis (directed by Fritz Lang...Fritz not as fun a name as King), now for all you special effects buffs out there, I know this doesn't look like much to you now, but I dare you to actually sit there and make all those models and drawings that they shot against now. I think they were glass paintings...wait, I'll check back later, glass painting came later. Someone let me know if I am wrong.
Anyway, Happy End of the American Dream and know that the world has turned after such tragedies and will continue to turn. You may just not get to spin around the planet with your HD Flatscreen TV.

No comments: