Monday, May 11, 2009

Keeping it Simple

Claudette Colbert fleeing her wedding in her bridal gown which looked more like lingerie was who I always aspired to be as a bride. Free, young and confident and ready to bolt on a moments notice if it wasn't right and always ready to run away with Clarke Gable. (Fortunately, I had absolutely no desire what so ever to bolt on my wedding day. I had found my Clarke Gable.) It Happened One Night was the first wedding in a movie that made a huge impression on me. Or at least I remember thinking, "wow, she looks so sensual and free and sexy in that wedding dress!" or whatever a 6 year olds version of that thought process was. I just remember LOVING that dress. Well, I'm not exactly Ms. Colbert but I just wanted to recommend that movie to anyone who was getting married or had just got married. And since I just don't have the physique or money for that kind of dress, anyone who can pull off that dress, I highly reccommend it. I just got married on Saturday and was trying to think of my favorite pre-code wedding movies and I could think of nothing more glamorous or fabulous than It Happened One Night. Nothing is more romantic than the walls of Jericho. I felt in the spirit of eloping since we had such a simple ceremony but it was so lovely I felt a little like I was running away and eloping. I highly recommend this. Nothing kills romance more than bills and lack of spontaneity. So in these difficult times, put the Bride's Magazine down and run away together. Watch a little Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert and spend the night in a haystack eating carrots.

1 comment:

Bacall said...

Congratulations and great pre-code movies! Simplicity is always best...trust me, my wedding was very simple and we are going on our 29th year!